[nggallery id=773]Barbara, my wife, & Mulligan our pup headed up to participate in the 25th Annual Owen Sound Salmon Spectacular event this weekend in Own Sound, ON. The Sydenham Sportsman Association & all the volunteers did a great job again making sure everyone had a great time as anglers tried their skill at catching the largest salmon to win the event.
For those of you that may not be aware, the Own Sound Salmon Spectacular has been running for the lasts 25-yrs. and is one of the most recognized salmon derbies in North America! At this years even the public was again treated to a salmon fish fry. I checked with the volunteers at the frying station and they informed me that they would go through about 600 lb. of salmon nuggets….that’s a lot of fish to feed a lot of hungry guests!!
As you can see from the images this is more than a salmon derby, it is a mayor event in Owen Sound, ON with a huge tent set up right on the water, product displays and many concessions in side. One of the evening highlights is the live band entertainment while contestants weigh in their catches.
Here is a little history on the Sydenham Sportsman Association and the great work they do every year to ensure great fishing in the Owen Sound are:
- Over a century ago, it is believed that Ontario’s first fish and game protective association was formed right here in North Grey County. This effort was the result of a few farsighted conservationists who realized that unrestricted seasons, and no creel and bag limits would soon deplete fish and wildlife populations.
- In 1925, some 300 North Grey residents banded together to form an association known as the Grey-Bruce Counties Fish and Game Protective Association. Possibly this name states in a nutshell what our organization is all about.
- In 1947, this organization became the Sydenham Sportsmen’s Association.
- In 1959, the SSA built and maintained Ontario’s first Fish Ladder at the Mill Dam in Owen Sound. More recently, steel covers have been placed over the fish ladder steps.
- In 1997, further Fish Ladder improvements were completed to facilitate fish movements and improve volunteer safety.
- Annually the Sydenham Sportsman Association help in raising and stocking millions of salmon in Lake Huron.
If you would like more info. on the Owen Sound Salmon Spectacular or would like to compete in it, just go to the Sydenham Sportsman Association site.