I want to buy about 6 or 7 rapalas. 3 for bass fishing and 3 or 4 for rainbow fishing. wanted to know what you would buy and what you think works the best. I fishing in the Haliburton Highlands area and i am taking a fishing trip in 2 weeks. Thanks, JamesPosted on June 21st, 2016
Hi James, you will probably be fishing for smallmouth bass in the Haliburton area where the water is pretty clear and it is predominantly rock-structure that you will be fishing (not weeds).
The top Rapala’s to use there are:
- Rapala Shadow Rap (twitching just below the surface
- Rapala X-Rap Pop (top-water popper)
- Rapala Scatter Rap Crank (crankbait that dives to approx. 12′)
All three lures above will work well fished along the steeper-dropping shorelines and structure breaks off points, islands, and in the middle of bays.
For rainbows a Vibrax #1 or #2 spinner works really well fished at different depths as well as these Rapalas:
- Rapala Countdown #3 & #4 (CD3 & 4) -they can be cast/retrieved used with a “countdown-method”, sinks about 1’/sec., or trolled
- Rapala Shad Rap #5 (cast or troll)
- Rapala Ultralight Shad & Minnow (cast or troll)
Rainbows can suspend anywhere in the water column and will probably already be suspended in open water so you will do well trolling and covering different depth to locate them. You may also want to consider getting the smallest Dipsey Diver (often referred as a “cookie” because of it’s size), which will help you get your lures deeper and away from the boat. Hope you catch-em…God bless you.