I just had the pleasure of fishing for the first time from the amazing NuCanoe. I have done kayak, canoe,& float-tube TV shows in the last 27 yrs, but I was so impressed from fishing out of a NuCanoe. We choose to shoot today based on good weather forcasts that predicted temperatures would be between 8-12C with no rain. The weather man was right. I was a little concerned that the cold days and strong winds we experienced for about a week would drive the largemouth bass to deeper water and cause them to shut-down. To my surprise, they did move deeper, but they also cooperated.
I fished a combination of techniques from slowly “finesse” fishing a TriggerX 4″ tube/1/16 oz. jighead along the bottom, to casting and retrieving slowly a Luhr Jensen #5 Kwik-Fish, to twitching a Rapala Husky Jerk #1, and finally to cranking the new Rapala Scatter Crank. All these techniques produced many average size largemouth between 1-2 1/2 lb.
To my surprise, I tried trolling from the NuCanoe in deeper water with the Rapala Scatter Crank and I hooked one of the largest largemouth bass I have ever hooked fishing in Ontario. After a long fight I finally landed the fish and could hardly lift it into the NuCanoe using a rubber live-release net. I have a feeling the bass was pushing 7 lb.
While fishing from the NuCanoe I used the Rapala North Coast Kayak baitcasting outfit equipped with a Rapala R-Type baitcasting reel and the Rapala TS2 spinning outfit equipped with a Rapala Volt spinning reel. Both reels were spooled with Sufix 832 braid and tipped with Sufix Fluorocarbon leaders. If you have been thinking of investing in a fishing kayak I would strongly encourage you that you consider getting a NuCanoe. Here is why:
- Stable – No other canoe or kayak is more stable. Provides confidence while seated and enables almost anyone to stand comfortably, also makes it easy to enter and exit the Frontier.
- Versatile – Use solo or tandem; in lakes, rivers, and/or saltwater; great for fishing, fly-fishing, hunting, paddling, diving, & more
- Customizable – The Freedom Track and open deck design enable the Frontier to be set up how you want…and reconfigured when you want
- Comfortable – The upright seats that are 10″ off the deck floor are super comfortable and provide great back support. The 360 mobility enables you to face the action at all times.
- Paddling performance – The unique hull designs provide efficiency in the water and combines nimble maneuverability with superior tracking
Make sure to watch this exciting TV show when it airs in the new Canadian Sportfishing TV series. In the next week or two I will also shooting a migratory brown and rainbow trout TV show with Aaron Shirley fishing one of the lower stretches of an Upper NY, Lake Ontario tributary, you guessed it, out of the NuCanoes!!
To get all the info. on the NuCanoe just go to, http://www.nucanoe.com/fishing-kayaks/ .