New fishing regulations for 2010 include:
- Year-round fishing for crappie, sunfish, yellow perch and northern pike in the Kawartha Lakes area
- Longer fall seasons for bass and muskellunge in the Kawartha Lakes area
- Longer winter season for lake trout in the Thunder Bay area
- Simpler size restrictions for certain species in the Thunder Bay area
- Forty-two more lake trout and brook trout lakes with extended seasons and/or reduced harvest restrictions.
- Ontarioâ€™s summer Family Fishing Weekend has been extended to a full Family Fishing Week in July.
The 2010 fishing regulations guide is now available at ontario.ca/fishing. Printed copies will be available by December 31 at licence issuers and ServiceOntario/Government Information Centres.
Regulations for some species have been revised to ensure fish stocks are sustainable. Anglers are encouraged to check the regulations for their area before they go fishing.
For the first time, the review of regulations benefited from the input of new Fisheries Management Zone Advisory Councils. The councils, composed of local stakeholders, help the Ministry of Natural Resources develop management strategies for their zones.